Yoga for Depression and Anxiety
While yoga is a wonderfully dynamic hobby, sport or spiritual path. It also has great healing benefits for those suffering from anxiety and depression. Personally, after my grandmother past away I felt uncontrollable anxiety that hung over me like Eeyore’s cloud. It felt like the previous me was long gone and this new uncertain person had come and unpacked their bags. Her loss made me feel like I had to let go of a piece of my history, my matriarch, before I was ready or prepared to do so. So what can we do?
- Breathe: Pranayama are breathing exercises used to help bring oxygen into the body and calm the mind.
- Inhale for 5 second and hold then
- Exhale for 5 seconds and hold
- Do this for 5 minutes in a quite place, your office, in the car, in bed
- Be consistent the only way to heal uncertainty is to create certainty
- Meditate: This is a great way to unplug from the world. Sometimes you just got too much on your plate and a 10 minute recharge is what you need to calm your mind and refresh your body.
- Use Youtube, Calm app, Spotify or any nature sounds or soothing music to set the mood.
- Get nice and comfy and let you eye close and your thoughts drift away to a place of inner tranquility
- Poses: Get moving, anxiety and depression can often make you freeze in life too afraid to make a decision for even the most simple things. So just doing 5 poses for 10 minutes can get the blood flowing to your body.
- Legs-Up-the-Wall (Viparita Karani)
- Extended Puppy Pose (Uttana Shishosana)
- Reclining Bound Angle Pose (Supta Virasana)
- Wide-Legged Forward Bend (Prasarita Padottanasana)
- Upward-Facing Dog Pose (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana)